poniedziałek, 16 sierpnia 2010

Summer is for... mint!

I know that summer is almost over but when I decided to start this blog it was only starting. Still, whatever is left of it should be celebrated with good food!

There are always some things that make me think of summer and mint is one of them, bringing memories of picking up fresh stalks in my grandmother's garden and making apple and mint compote. Now a bit older, not really wiser, I've discovered the joys of cooking with mint. The perfect chilling and refreshing taste is what those hot summer days need! So trying to catch up I will post some mint recipes as an opener for my blog :)

Mint and courgette risotto.
I've found this recipe in the Waitrose magazine. It was my frist try at making any kind of risotto and I was a little nervous, as it turned out it was far less work and much easier to make than expected. It's refreshingly minty flavour mingles well with zingy taste of feta creating a perfect summer diner or lunch.

  • 2 tbsp olive oil
  • 500g courgettes, halved lenghtways and thinly sliced
  • 2 cloves of garlic, crushed
  • 350 arborio risotto rice (can also use paella rice)
  • 1.2 liters vegetable stock
  • 25g fresh mint, chopped
  • 20g fresh basil, chopped
  • 100g feta cheese, cubed
  • salt, pepper
  1. Heat the oil in a wide pan (I was using wok) and add sliced courgettes. Fry over a medium heat for 5mins until golden on both sides. Add the garlic and seasoning, then cook for further 1min. Stir in the rice and cook for 1min until coated in oil.
  2. Bring the stock to the boil and gradually add to the rice a ladefull at a time, stirring untill each amount is absorbed. Continue untill all the stock is added and rice is creamy and just tender. This will take 15-20mins.
  3. Take the pan off the heat and stir in the herbs and the cubed feta and leave to rest for a couple of minutes. Check the seasoning and serve.




Uploaded with ImageShack.us
Yes, I need to start taking pictures with an actual camera instead of my phone. Picture was taken a day or two after, the risotto keeps well in the fridge.

Brak komentarzy:

Prześlij komentarz